I very much enjoyed my first season with Kent and I am pleased to be coming back: Nabi © Getty
Afghanistan all-rounder Mohammad Nabi is set to return to Kent for a second season of the T20 Blast, the club confirmed on Wednesday (November 13).
Nabi, ICC’s top-ranked T20 all-rounder at the moment, also spent the 2019 edition with Kent, scoring 147 runs at a strike rate of 153.12 with one of the highlights being a 12-ball 43 that blew Surrey away in a rain-affected game in July. Nabi also claimed eight wickets during his stay, at an economy rate of 7.22.
“I very much enjoyed my first season with Kent and I am pleased to be coming back for another year of the Vitality Blast. There’s lots of quality in the team so hopefully, w e can do well,” said Nabi, who has the experience of playing the league cricket globally, including the IPL and the BBL. He was also London Spirit’s second-round pick in the recently-concluded The Hundred draft.
Paul Downton, the Kent Director of Cricket, welcomed Nabi on board for the entirety of the 2020 season and said the club would be delighted to reunite with him subject to the obvious regulatory approval. “To do well in the Blast, you need a number of match-winners, and Nabi showed us what he is capable of last year,” he said.
“His ability to bowl at any stage of the innings and to hit the ball out of the park when he bats makes him one of the most exciting players in world cricket. He fitted into our environment really well and to have him with us for the entirety of the South Group in 2020 is a boost to the whole squad.”